Complete genome sequence of the termite hindgut bacterium Spirochaeta coccoides type strain (SPN1(T)), reclassification in the genus Sphaerochaeta as Sphaerochaeta coccoides comb. nov. and emendations of the family Spirochaetaceae and the genus Sphaerochaeta.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Goodwin, Lynne A
Eisen, Jonathan A
Kyrpides, Nikos C
Detter, John C
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSpirochaeta coccoides Dröge et al. 2006 is a member of the genus Spirochaeta Ehrenberg 1835, one of the oldest named genera within the Bacteria. S. coccoides is an obligately anaerobic, Gram-negative, non-motile, spherical bacterium that was isolated from the hindgut contents of the termite Neotermes castaneus. The species is of interest because it may play an important role in the digestion of breakdown products from cellulose and hemicellulose in the termite gut. Here we provide a taxonomic re-evaluation for strain SPN1(T), and based on physiological and genomic characteristics, we propose its reclassification as a novel species in the genus Sphaerochaeta, a recently published sister group of the Spirochaeta. The 2,227,296 bp long genome of strain SPN1(T) with its 1,866 protein-coding and 58 RNA genes is a part of the Genomic Encyclopedia of Bacteria and Archaea project.
CitationComplete genome sequence of the termite hindgut bacterium Spirochaeta coccoides type strain (SPN1(T)), reclassification in the genus Sphaerochaeta as Sphaerochaeta coccoides comb. nov. and emendations of the family Spirochaetaceae and the genus Sphaerochaeta. 2012, 6 (2):194-209 Stand Genomic Sci
JournalStandards in genomic sciences
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Genome sequence of the thermophilic fresh-water bacterium Spirochaeta caldaria type strain (H1(T)), reclassification of Spirochaeta caldaria, Spirochaeta stenostrepta, and Spirochaeta zuelzerae in the genus Treponema as Treponema caldaria comb. nov., Treponema stenostrepta comb. nov., and Treponema zuelzerae comb. nov., and emendation of the genus Treponema.
- Authors: Abt B, Göker M, Scheuner C, Han C, Lu M, Misra M, Lapidus A, Nolan M, Lucas S, Hammon N, Deshpande S, Cheng JF, Tapia R, Goodwin LA, Pitluck S, Liolios K, Pagani I, Ivanova N, Mavromatis K, Mikhailova N, Huntemann M, Pati A, Chen A, Palaniappan K, Land M, Hauser L, Jeffries CD, Rohde M, Spring S, Gronow S, Detter JC, Bristow J, Eisen JA, Markowitz V, Hugenholtz P, Kyrpides NC, Woyke T, Klenk HP
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 15
- Spirochaeta coccoides sp. nov., a novel coccoid spirochete from the hindgut of the termite Neotermes castaneus.
- Authors: Dröge S, Fröhlich J, Radek R, König H
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Sphaerochaeta multiformis sp. nov., an anaerobic, psychrophilic bacterium isolated from subseafloor sediment, and emended description of the genus Sphaerochaeta.
- Authors: Miyazaki M, Sakai S, Ritalahti KM, Saito Y, Yamanaka Y, Saito Y, Tame A, Uematsu K, Löffler FE, Takai K, Imachi H
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Complete genome sequence of the halophilic bacterium Spirochaeta africana type strain (Z-7692(T)) from the alkaline Lake Magadi in the East African Rift.
- Authors: Liolos K, Abt B, Scheuner C, Teshima H, Held B, Lapidus A, Nolan M, Lucas S, Deshpande S, Cheng JF, Tapia R, Goodwin LA, Pitluck S, Pagani I, Ivanova N, Mavromatis K, Mikhailova N, Huntemann M, Pati A, Chen A, Palaniappan K, Land M, Rohde M, Tindall BJ, Detter JC, Göker M, Bristow J, Eisen JA, Markowitz V, Hugenholtz P, Woyke T, Klenk HP, Kyrpides NC
- Issue date: 2013
- Complete genome sequence of Spirochaeta smaragdinae type strain (SEBR 4228).
- Authors: Mavromatis K, Yasawong M, Chertkov O, Lapidus A, Lucas S, Nolan M, Del Rio TG, Tice H, Cheng JF, Pitluck S, Liolios K, Ivanova N, Tapia R, Han C, Bruce D, Goodwin L, Pati A, Chen A, Palaniappan K, Land M, Hauser L, Chang YJ, Jeffries CD, Detter JC, Rohde M, Brambilla E, Spring S, Göker M, Sikorski J, Woyke T, Bristow J, Eisen JA, Markowitz V, Hugenholtz P, Klenk HP, Kyrpides NC
- Issue date: 2010 Oct 18