VEGFR-3 is expressed on megakaryocyte precursors in the murine bone marrow and plays a regulatory role in megakaryopoiesis.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Weich, Herbert A
Sleeman, Jonathan P
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractVEGFR-3 is a transmembrane receptor tyrosine kinase that is activated by its ligands VEGF-C and VEGF-D. Although VEGFR-3 has been linked primarily to the regulation of lymphangiogenesis, in the present study, we demonstrate a role for VEGFR-3 in megakaryopoiesis. Using a human erythroleukemia cell line and primary murine BM cells, we show that VEGFR-3 is expressed on megakaryocytic progenitor cells through to the promegakaryoblast stage. Functionally, specific activation of VEGFR-3 impaired the transition to polyploidy of CD41(+) cells in primary BM cultures. Blockade of VEGFR-3 promoted endoreplication consistently. In vivo, long-term activation or blockade of VEGFR-3 did not affect steady-state murine megakaryopoiesis or platelet counts significantly. However, activation of VEGFR-3 in sublethally irradiated mice resulted in significantly elevated numbers of CD41(+) cells in the BM and a significant increase in diploid CD41(+) cells, whereas the number of polyploid CD41(+) cells was reduced significantly. Moreover, activation of VEGFR-3 increased platelet counts in thrombopoietin-treated mice significantly and modulated 5-fluorouracil-induced thrombocytosis strongly, suggesting a regulatory role for VEGFR-3 in megakaryopoiesis.
CitationVEGFR-3 is expressed on megakaryocyte precursors in the murine bone marrow and plays a regulatory role in megakaryopoiesis. 2012, 120 (9):1899-907 Blood
AffiliationUniversität Heidelberg, Medizinische Fakultät Mannheim, Mannheim, Germany;
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Humanized VB22B minibody for human Mpl stimulates human megakaryopoiesis but does not enhance platelet aggregation.
- Authors: Matsuki E, Miyakawa Y, Yamane A, Okamoto S
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- Megakaryocytes promote hepatoepithelial liver cell development in E11.5 mouse embryos by cell-to-cell contact and by vascular endothelial growth factor A signaling.
- Authors: Serrano N, Cortegano I, Ruiz C, Alía M, de Andrés B, Rejas MT, Marcos MA, Gaspar ML
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- Downregulation of hypoxia-inducible factor-1α contributes to impaired megakaryopoiesis in immune thrombocytopenia.
- Authors: Qi J, You T, Pan T, Wang Q, Zhu L, Han Y
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 5
- Increased expression of HIF2α during iron deficiency-associated megakaryocytic differentiation.
- Authors: Jimenez K, Khare V, Evstatiev R, Kulnigg-Dabsch S, Jambrich M, Strobl H, Gasche C
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Cholinergic drugs inhibit in vitro megakaryopoiesis via the alpha7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptor.
- Authors: Thornton S, Schedel A, Besenfelder S, Klüter H, Bugert P
- Issue date: 2011