Activity-guided screening of bioactive natural compounds implementing a new glucocorticoid-receptor-translocation assay and detection of new anti-inflammatory steroids from bacteria.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUsing an in vitro cell-based assay in a flow-design, we have applied activity-guided screening to search for new bioactive compounds isolated from microorganisms. A first assay employs the stable expression of nuclear factor kappa B (NF-κB) while a second assay utilizes the glucocorticoid receptor (GR) coupled to green fluorescent protein. A specialized assay was implemented for both the translocation of NF-κB and to inhibit the translocation of cytokine-mediated NF-κB. In addition, we developed in a wide palette of cell lines used for a highly specialized GR-translocation assay to detect anti-inflammatory effects. This approach demonstrates the straight-forward combination of cell-based assays arranged with an automated fluorescence microscope. This allows for the direct sorting of extracts which are acting in a pharmaceutically interesting way. Initial results using this technique have led to the detection of new anti-inflammatory steroids from bacterial crude extracts.
CitationActivity-guided screening of bioactive natural compounds implementing a new glucocorticoid-receptor-translocation assay and detection of new anti-inflammatory steroids from bacteria. 2013, 35 (1):11-20 Biotechnol. Lett.
AffiliationDepartment of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Saarland University, Saarbrücken, Germany. email@example.com
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Differential effects of selected natural compounds with anti-inflammatory activity on the glucocorticoid receptor and NF-kappaB in HeLa cells.
- Authors: Dvorák Z, Vrzal R, Maurel P, Ulrichová J
- Issue date: 2006 Feb 1
- Mineralocorticoid and glucocorticoid receptors differentially regulate NF-kappaB activity and pro-inflammatory cytokine production in murine BV-2 microglial cells.
- Authors: Chantong B, Kratschmar DV, Nashev LG, Balazs Z, Odermatt A
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 28
- Functional modulation of the glucocorticoid receptor and suppression of NF-kappaB-dependent transcription by ursodeoxycholic acid.
- Authors: Miura T, Ouchida R, Yoshikawa N, Okamoto K, Makino Y, Nakamura T, Morimoto C, Makino I, Tanaka H
- Issue date: 2001 Dec 14
- A miniaturized glucocorticoid receptor translocation assay using enzymatic fragment complementation evaluated with qHTS.
- Authors: Zhu PJ, Zheng W, Auld DS, Jadhav A, Macarthur R, Olson KR, Peng K, Dotimas H, Austin CP, Inglese J
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- In vitro and in vivo anti-inflammatory activity of 17-O-acetylacuminolide through the inhibition of cytokines, NF-κB translocation and IKKβ activity.
- Authors: Achoui M, Appleton D, Abdulla MA, Awang K, Mohd MA, Mustafa MR
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 1