Immunoglobulins drive terminal maturation of splenic dendritic cells.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Gutierrez, Maximiliano Gabriel
Martins dos Santos, Vitor A P
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNature and physiological status of antigen-presenting cells, such as dendritic cells DCs, are decisive for the immune reactions elicited. Multiple factors and cell interactions have been described that affect maturation of DCs. Here, we show that DCs arising in the absence of immunoglobulins (Ig) in vivo are impaired in cross-presentation of soluble antigen. This deficiency was due to aberrant cellular targeting of antigen to lysosomes and its rapid degradation. Function of DCs could be restored by transfer of Ig irrespective of antigen specificity and isotype. Modulation of cross-presentation by Ig was inhibited by coapplication of mannan and, thus, likely to be mediated by C-type lectin receptors. This unexpected dependency of splenic DCs on Ig to cross-present antigen provides insights into the interplay between cellular and humoral immunity and the immunomodulatory capacity of Ig.
CitationImmunoglobulins drive terminal maturation of splenic dendritic cells. 2013, 110 (6):2282-7 Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.
AffiliationDepartment of Molecular Immunology, Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany. firstname.lastname@example.org
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Thymic but not splenic CD8⁺ DCs can efficiently cross-prime T cells in the absence of licensing factors.
- Authors: Dresch C, Ackermann M, Vogt B, de Andrade Pereira B, Shortman K, Fraefel C
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Influence of lymphocytes on the presence and organization of dendritic cell subsets in the spleen.
- Authors: Crowley MT, Reilly CR, Lo D
- Issue date: 1999 Nov 1
- Stroma-dependent development of two dendritic-like cell types with distinct antigen presenting capability.
- Authors: Periasamy P, O'Neill HC
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Distinct kinetics and dynamics of cross-presentation in liver sinusoidal endothelial cells compared to dendritic cells.
- Authors: Schurich A, Böttcher JP, Burgdorf S, Penzler P, Hegenbarth S, Kern M, Dolf A, Endl E, Schultze J, Wiertz E, Stabenow D, Kurts C, Knolle P
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Selective suicide of cross-presenting CD8+ dendritic cells by cytochrome c injection shows functional heterogeneity within this subset.
- Authors: Lin ML, Zhan Y, Proietto AI, Prato S, Wu L, Heath WR, Villadangos JA, Lew AM
- Issue date: 2008 Feb 26