Description of Sphingorhabdus planktonica gen. nov., sp. nov. and reclassification of three related members of the genus Sphingopyxis in the genus Sphingorhabdus gen. nov.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Tindall, Brian J
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA previously undescribed aerobic, non-sporulating bacterium, strain G1A_585(T), was isolated from an oligotrophic freshwater lake in Bavaria, Germany. The rod-shaped cells were Gram-stain-negative and non-motile. Based on 16S rRNA gene sequence similarity, strain G1A_585(T) was a member of the family Sphingomonadaceae and shared <95.2 % similarity with type strains of all members of the most closely related genus, Sphingopyxis. Phyogenetically, the isolate shared a root with strains of three marine species, Sphingopyxis flavimaris DSM 16223(T), Sphingopyxis marina DSM 22363(T) and Sphingopyxis litoris DSM 22379(T). The polar lipids of strain G1A_585(T) were diphosphatidylglycerol, phosphatidylglycerol, phosphatidylethanolamine, phosphatidylmonomethylethanolamine, phosphatidyldimethylethanolamine, phosphatidylcholine, sphingoglycolipids, three glycolipids and one unknown lipid. Ubiquinone-10 was the dominant quinone (93.1 %) and ubiquinone-9 (6.5 %) was also detected. The major cellular fatty acids were summed feature 8 (C18 : 1ω7c and/or C18 : 1ω6c; 38.2 %); C16 : 1ω7c (33.6 %) and C14 : 0 2-OH (17.8 %). The major polyamine was spermidine and traces of 1,3-diaminopropane, putrescine and spermine were also detected. The DNA G+C content of strain G1A_585(T) was 55.7 mol% and the isolate was oxidase- and catalase-positive. Based on the phylogenetic relationship, the low DNA G+C content compared with most other members of the genus Sphingopyxis and the presence of signature nucleotides in the 16S rRNA gene sequence, a novel species in a new genus and species, Sphingorhabdus planktonica gen. nov., sp. nov., is proposed; the type strain of Sphingorhabdus planktonica is G1A_585(T) ( = DSM 25081(T) = LMG 26646(T)). Because Sphingopyxis flavimaris DSM 16223(T), Sphingopyxis marina DSM 22363(T) and Sphingopyxis litoris DSM 22379(T) form a phylogenetic group together with strain G1A_585(T) that is clearly separated from all other known Sphingopyxis strains and share signature nucleotides, these three Sphingopyxis strains are reclassified as members of the proposed novel genus Sphingorhabdus: Sphingorhabdus flavimaris comb. nov. (type strain SW-151(T) = DSM 16223(T) = KCTC 12232(T)), Sphingorhabdus marina comb. nov. (type strain FR1087(T) = DSM 22363(T) = IMSNU 14132(T) = KCTC 12763(T) = JCM 14161(T)) and Sphingorhabdus litoris comb. nov. (type strain FR1093(T) = DSM 22379(T) = IMSNU 14133(T) = KCTC 12764(T) = JCM 14162(T)).
CitationDescription of Sphingorhabdus planktonica gen. nov., sp. nov. and reclassification of three related members of the genus Sphingopyxis in the genus Sphingorhabdus gen. nov. 2013, 63 (Pt 4):1342-9 Int. J. Syst. Evol. Microbiol.
AffiliationBereich Mikrobiologie, Biologie I, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Planegg, Martinsried, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Sphingorhabdus arenilitoris sp. nov., isolated from a coastal sand, and reclassification of Sphingopyxis rigui as Sphingorhabdus rigui comb. nov. and Sphingopyxis wooponensis as Sphingorhabdus wooponensis comb. nov.
- Authors: Park JM, Park S, Jung YT, Kim H, Lee JS, Yoon JH
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Sphingopyxis flava sp. nov., isolated from a hexachlorocyclohexane (HCH)-contaminated soil.
- Authors: Verma H, Rani P, Kumar Singh A, Kumar R, Dwivedi V, Negi V, Lal R
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Sphingobium limneticum sp. nov. and Sphingobium boeckii sp. nov., two freshwater planktonic members of the family Sphingomonadaceae, and reclassification of Sphingomonas suberifaciens as Sphingobium suberifaciens comb. nov.
- Authors: Chen H, Jogler M, Rohde M, Klenk HP, Busse HJ, Tindall BJ, Spröer C, Overmann J
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- Sphingopyxis indica sp. nov., isolated from a high dose point hexachlorocyclohexane (HCH)-contaminated dumpsite.
- Authors: Jindal S, Dua A, Lal R
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Description of Thalassotalea piscium gen. nov., sp. nov., isolated from flounder (Paralichthys olivaceus), reclassification of four species of the genus Thalassomonas as members of the genus Thalassotalea gen. nov. and emended description of the genus Thalassomonas.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Tang K, Shi X, Zhang XH
- Issue date: 2014 Apr