Genome sequence of the thermophilic fresh-water bacterium Spirochaeta caldaria type strain (H1(T)), reclassification of Spirochaeta caldaria, Spirochaeta stenostrepta, and Spirochaeta zuelzerae in the genus Treponema as Treponema caldaria comb. nov., Treponema stenostrepta comb. nov., and Treponema zuelzerae comb. nov., and emendation of the genus Treponema.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Goodwin, Lynne A
Jeffries, Cynthia D
Detter, John C
Eisen, Jonathan A
Kyrpides, Nikos C
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSpirochaeta caldaria Pohlschroeder et al. 1995 is an obligately anaerobic, spiral-shaped bacterium that is motile via periplasmic flagella. The type strain, H1(T), was isolated in 1990 from cyanobacterial mat samples collected at a freshwater hot spring in Oregon, USA, and is of interest because it enhances the degradation of cellulose when grown in co-culture with Clostridium thermocellum. Here we provide a taxonomic re-evaluation for S. caldaria based on phylogenetic analyses of 16S rRNA sequences and whole genomes, and propose the reclassification of S. caldaria and two other Spirochaeta species as members of the emended genus Treponema. Whereas genera such as Borrelia and Sphaerochaeta possess well-distinguished genomic features related to their divergent lifestyles, the physiological and functional genomic characteristics of Spirochaeta and Treponema appear to be intermixed and are of little taxonomic value. The 3,239,340 bp long genome of strain H1(T) with its 2,869 protein-coding and 59 RNA genes is a part of the G enomic E ncyclopedia of Bacteria and Archaea project.
CitationGenome sequence of the thermophilic fresh-water bacterium Spirochaeta caldaria type strain (H1(T)), reclassification of Spirochaeta caldaria, Spirochaeta stenostrepta, and Spirochaeta zuelzerae in the genus Treponema as Treponema caldaria comb. nov., Treponema stenostrepta comb. nov., and Treponema zuelzerae comb. nov., and emendation of the genus Treponema. 2013, 8 (1):88-105 Stand Genomic Sci
AffiliationLeibniz Institute DSMZ - German Collection of Microorganisms and Cell Cultures, Braunschweig, Germany.
JournalStandards in genomic sciences
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Complete genome sequence of the termite hindgut bacterium Spirochaeta coccoides type strain (SPN1(T)), reclassification in the genus Sphaerochaeta as Sphaerochaeta coccoides comb. nov. and emendations of the family Spirochaetaceae and the genus Sphaerochaeta.
- Authors: Abt B, Han C, Scheuner C, Lu M, Lapidus A, Nolan M, Lucas S, Hammon N, Deshpande S, Cheng JF, Tapia R, Goodwin LA, Pitluck S, Liolios K, Pagani I, Ivanova N, Mavromatis K, Mikhailova N, Huntemann M, Pati A, Chen A, Palaniappan K, Land M, Hauser L, Brambilla EM, Rohde M, Spring S, Gronow S, Göker M, Woyke T, Bristow J, Eisen JA, Markowitz V, Hugenholtz P, Kyrpides NC, Klenk HP, Detter JC
- Issue date: 2012 May 25
- Complete genome sequence of the halophilic bacterium Spirochaeta africana type strain (Z-7692(T)) from the alkaline Lake Magadi in the East African Rift.
- Authors: Liolos K, Abt B, Scheuner C, Teshima H, Held B, Lapidus A, Nolan M, Lucas S, Deshpande S, Cheng JF, Tapia R, Goodwin LA, Pitluck S, Pagani I, Ivanova N, Mavromatis K, Mikhailova N, Huntemann M, Pati A, Chen A, Palaniappan K, Land M, Rohde M, Tindall BJ, Detter JC, Göker M, Bristow J, Eisen JA, Markowitz V, Hugenholtz P, Woyke T, Klenk HP, Kyrpides NC
- Issue date: 2013
- Alkalispirochaeta cellulosivorans gen. nov., sp. nov., a cellulose-hydrolysing, alkaliphilic, halotolerant bacterium isolated from the gut of a wood-eating cockroach (Cryptocercus punctulatus), and reclassification of four species of Spirochaeta as new combinations within Alkalispirochaeta gen. nov.
- Authors: Sravanthi T, Tushar L, Sasikala Ch, Ramana ChV
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Proposal of Solimonas aquatica sp. nov., reclassification of Sinobacter flavus Zhou et al. 2008 as Solimonas flava comb. nov. and Singularimonas variicoloris Friedrich and Lipski 2008 as Solimonas variicoloris comb. nov. and emended descriptions of the genus Solimonas and its type species Solimonas soli.
- Authors: Sheu SY, Cho NT, Arun AB, Chen WM
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Description of Gemmobacter fontiphilus sp. nov., isolated from a freshwater spring, reclassification of Catellibacterium nectariphilum as Gemmobacter nectariphilus comb. nov., Catellibacterium changlense as Gemmobacter changlensis comb. nov., Catellibacterium aquatile as Gemmobacter aquaticus nom. nov., Catellibacterium caeni as Gemmobacter caeni comb. nov., Catellibacterium nanjingense as Gemmobacter nanjingensis comb. nov., and emended description of the genus Gemmobacter and of Gemmobacter aquatilis.
- Authors: Chen WM, Cho NT, Huang WC, Young CC, Sheu SY
- Issue date: 2013 Feb