SUMOylation of the polycomb group protein L3MBTL2 facilitates repression of its target genes.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLethal(3) malignant brain tumour like 2 (L3MBTL2) is an integral component of the polycomb repressive complex 1.6 (PRC1.6) and has been implicated in transcriptional repression and chromatin compaction. Here, we show that L3MBTL2 is modified by SUMO2/3 at lysine residues 675 and 700 close to the C-terminus. SUMOylation of L3MBTL2 neither affected its repressive activity in reporter gene assays nor it's binding to histone tails in vitro. In order to analyse whether SUMOylation affects binding of L3MBTL2 to chromatin, we performed ChIP-Seq analysis with chromatin of wild-type HEK293 cells and with chromatin of HEK293 cells stably expressing either FLAG-tagged SUMOylation-competent or SUMOylation-defective L3MBTL2. Wild-type FLAG-L3MBTL2 and the SUMOylation-defective FLAG-L3MBTL2 K675/700R mutant essentially occupied the same sites as endogenous L3MBTL2 suggesting that SUMOylation of L3MBTL2 does not affect chromatin binding. However, a subset of L3MBTL2-target genes, particularly those with low L3MBTL2 occupancy including pro-inflammatory genes, was de-repressed in cells expressing the FLAG-L3MBTL2 K675/700R mutant. Finally, we provide evidence that SUMOylation of L3MBTL2 facilitates repression of these PRC1.6-target genes by balancing the local H2Aub1 levels established by the ubiquitinating enzyme RING2 and the de-ubiquitinating PR-DUB complex.
CitationSUMOylation of the polycomb group protein L3MBTL2 facilitates repression of its target genes. 2013: Nucleic Acids Res.
JournalNucleic acids research
The following license files are associated with this item:
- L3MBTL2 protein acts in concert with PcG protein-mediated monoubiquitination of H2A to establish a repressive chromatin structure.
- Authors: Trojer P, Cao AR, Gao Z, Li Y, Zhang J, Xu X, Li G, Losson R, Erdjument-Bromage H, Tempst P, Farnham PJ, Reinberg D
- Issue date: 2011 May 20
- The polycomb group protein L3mbtl2 assembles an atypical PRC1-family complex that is essential in pluripotent stem cells and early development.
- Authors: Qin J, Whyte WA, Anderssen E, Apostolou E, Chen HH, Akbarian S, Bronson RT, Hochedlinger K, Ramaswamy S, Young RA, Hock H
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 7
- Interaction proteomics analysis of polycomb proteins defines distinct PRC1 complexes in mammalian cells.
- Authors: Vandamme J, Völkel P, Rosnoblet C, Le Faou P, Angrand PO
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- SUMOylation negatively modulates target gene occupancy of the KDM5B, a histone lysine demethylase.
- Authors: Bueno MT, Richard S
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Role of histone H2A ubiquitination in Polycomb silencing.
- Authors: Wang H, Wang L, Erdjument-Bromage H, Vidal M, Tempst P, Jones RS, Zhang Y
- Issue date: 2004 Oct 14