The genome sequence of Methanohalophilus mahii SLP(T) reveals differences in the energy metabolism among members of the Methanosarcinaceae inhabiting freshwater and saline environments.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Glavina Del Rio, Tijana
Jeffries, Cynthia D
Detter, John C
Eisen, Jonathan A
Kyrpides, Nikos C
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMethanohalophilus mahii is the type species of the genus Methanohalophilus, which currently comprises three distinct species with validly published names. Mhp. mahii represents moderately halophilic methanogenic archaea with a strictly methylotrophic metabolism. The type strain SLP(T) was isolated from hypersaline sediments collected from the southern arm of Great Salt Lake, Utah. Here we describe the features of this organism, together with the complete genome sequence and annotation. The 2,012,424 bp genome is a single replicon with 2032 protein-coding and 63 RNA genes and part of the Genomic Encyclopedia of Bacteria and Archaea project. A comparison of the reconstructed energy metabolism in the halophilic species Mhp. mahii with other representatives of the Methanosarcinaceae reveals some interesting differences to freshwater species.
CitationThe genome sequence of Methanohalophilus mahii SLP(T) reveals differences in the energy metabolism among members of the Methanosarcinaceae inhabiting freshwater and saline environments. 2010, 2010:690737 Archaea
AffiliationHelmholtz Centre for infection research, Inhoffenstr. 7, D38124 Braunschweig
JournalArchaea (Vancouver, B.C.)
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Methanomethylovorans uponensis sp. nov., a methylotrophic methanogen isolated from wetland sediment.
- Authors: Cha IT, Min UG, Kim SJ, Yim KJ, Roh SW, Rhee SK
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Methanohalophilus levihalophilus sp. nov., a slightly halophilic, methylotrophic methanogen isolated from natural gas-bearing deep aquifers, and emended description of the genus Methanohalophilus.
- Authors: Katayama T, Yoshioka H, Mochimaru H, Meng XY, Muramoto Y, Usami J, Ikeda H, Kamagata Y, Sakata S
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Diversity of methanogenic archaea in a mangrove sediment and isolation of a new Methanococcoides strain.
- Authors: Lyimo TJ, Pol A, Jetten MS, den Camp HJ
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- Methanosalsum natronophilum sp. nov., and Methanocalculus alkaliphilus sp. nov., haloalkaliphilic methanogens from hypersaline soda lakes.
- Authors: Sorokin DY, Abbas B, Merkel AY, Rijpstra WI, Damsté JS, Sukhacheva MV, van Loosdrecht MC
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- The genome sequence of the psychrophilic archaeon, Methanococcoides burtonii: the role of genome evolution in cold adaptation.
- Authors: Allen MA, Lauro FM, Williams TJ, Burg D, Siddiqui KS, De Francisci D, Chong KW, Pilak O, Chew HH, De Maere MZ, Ting L, Katrib M, Ng C, Sowers KR, Galperin MY, Anderson IJ, Ivanova N, Dalin E, Martinez M, Lapidus A, Hauser L, Land M, Thomas T, Cavicchioli R
- Issue date: 2009 Sep