Identification of an immune-regulated phagosomal Rab cascade in macrophages.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInterferon-γ (IFN-γ) has been shown to regulate phagosome trafficking and function in macrophages, but the molecular mechanisms involved are poorly understood. Here, we identify Rab20 as part of the machinery by which IFN-γ controls phagosome maturation. We found that IFN-γ stimulates the association of Rab20 with early phagosomes in macrophages. By using imaging of single phagosomes in live cells, we found that Rab20 induces an early delay in phagosome maturation and extends the time for which Rab5a and phosphatidylinositol 3-phosphate (PI3P) remain associated with phagosomes. Moreover, Rab20 depletion in macrophages abrogates the delay in phagosome maturation induced by IFN-γ. Finally, we demonstrate that Rab20 interacts with the Rab5a guanine nucleotide exchange factor Rabex-5 (also known as RABGEF1) and that Rab20 knockdown impairs the IFN-γ-dependent recruitment of Rabex-5 and Rab5a into phagosomes. Taken together, here, we uncover Rab20 as a key player in the Rab cascade by which IFN-γ induces a delay in phagosome maturation in macrophages.
CitationIdentification of an immune-regulated phagosomal Rab cascade in macrophages. 2014, 127 (Pt 9):2071-82 J. Cell. Sci.
AffiliationHelmholtz Centre for infection research, Inhoffenstr. 7 , D-38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
JournalJournal of cell science
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Inpp5e increases the Rab5 association and phosphatidylinositol 3-phosphate accumulation at the phagosome through an interaction with Rab20.
- Authors: Segawa T, Hazeki K, Nigorikawa K, Morioka S, Guo Y, Takasuga S, Asanuma K, Hazeki O
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 15
- Rab20 regulates phagosome maturation in RAW264 macrophages during Fc gamma receptor-mediated phagocytosis.
- Authors: Egami Y, Araki N
- Issue date: 2012
- Rab GTPases regulating phagosome maturation are differentially recruited to mycobacterial phagosomes.
- Authors: Seto S, Tsujimura K, Koide Y
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- Modulation of Rab5 and Rab7 recruitment to phagosomes by phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase.
- Authors: Vieira OV, Bucci C, Harrison RE, Trimble WS, Lanzetti L, Gruenberg J, Schreiber AD, Stahl PD, Grinstein S
- Issue date: 2003 Apr
- C. elegans Rab GTPase activating protein TBC-2 promotes cell corpse degradation by regulating the small GTPase RAB-5.
- Authors: Li W, Zou W, Zhao D, Yan J, Zhu Z, Lu J, Wang X
- Issue date: 2009 Jul