The human otubain2-ubiquitin structure provides insights into the cleavage specificity of poly-ubiquitin-linkages.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Walter, Thomas S
Kramer, Holger B
Stuart, David I
Kessler, Benedikt M
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOvarian tumor domain containing proteases cleave ubiquitin (Ub) and ubiquitin-like polypeptides from proteins. Here we report the crystal structure of human otubain 2 (OTUB2) in complex with a ubiquitin-based covalent inhibitor, Ub-Br2. The ubiquitin binding mode is oriented differently to how viral otubains (vOTUs) bind ubiquitin/ISG15, and more similar to yeast and mammalian OTUs. In contrast to OTUB1 which has exclusive specificity towards Lys48 poly-ubiquitin chains, OTUB2 cleaves different poly-Ub linked chains. N-terminal tail swapping experiments between OTUB1 and OTUB2 revealed how the N-terminal structural motifs in OTUB1 contribute to modulating enzyme activity and Ub-chain selectivity, a trait not observed in OTUB2, supporting the notion that OTUB2 may affect a different spectrum of substrates in Ub-dependent pathways.
CitationThe human otubain2-ubiquitin structure provides insights into the cleavage specificity of poly-ubiquitin-linkages. 2015, 10 (1):e0115344 PLoS ONE
AffiliationHelmholtz Centre for infection research, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Diversity of ubiquitin and ISG15 specificity among nairoviruses' viral ovarian tumor domain proteases.
- Authors: Capodagli GC, Deaton MK, Baker EA, Lumpkin RJ, Pegan SD
- Issue date: 2013 Apr
- Structural basis and specificity of human otubain 1-mediated deubiquitination.
- Authors: Edelmann MJ, Iphöfer A, Akutsu M, Altun M, di Gleria K, Kramer HB, Fiebiger E, Dhe-Paganon S, Kessler BM
- Issue date: 2009 Mar 1
- E2 ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes regulate the deubiquitinating activity of OTUB1.
- Authors: Wiener R, DiBello AT, Lombardi PM, Guzzo CM, Zhang X, Matunis MJ, Wolberger C
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Probing the impact of nairovirus genomic diversity on viral ovarian tumor domain protease (vOTU) structure and deubiquitinase activity.
- Authors: Dzimianski JV, Beldon BS, Daczkowski CM, Goodwin OY, Scholte FEM, Bergeron É, Pegan SD
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Structural basis for the removal of ubiquitin and interferon-stimulated gene 15 by a viral ovarian tumor domain-containing protease.
- Authors: James TW, Frias-Staheli N, Bacik JP, Levingston Macleod JM, Khajehpour M, García-Sastre A, Mark BL
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 8