Concise review: cell therapies for hereditary metabolic liver diseases-concepts, clinical results, and future developments.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe concept of cell-based therapies for inherited metabolic liver diseases has been introduced for now more than 40 years in animal experiments, but controlled clinical data in humans are still not available. In the era of dynamic developments in stem cell science, the "right" cell for transplantation is considered as an important key for successful treatment. Do we aim to transplant mature hepatocytes or do we consider the liver as a stem/progenitor-driven organ and replenish the diseased liver with genetically normal stem/progenitor cells? Although conflicting results from cell tracing and transplantation experiments have recently emerged about the existence and role of stem/progenitor cells in the liver, their overall contribution to parenchymal cell homeostasis and tissue repair is limited. Accordingly, engraftment and repopulation efficacies of extrahepatic and liver-derived stem/progenitor cell types are considered to be lower compared to mature hepatocytes. On the basis of these results, we will discuss the current clinical cell transplantation programs for inherited metabolic liver diseases and future developments in liver cell therapy. Stem Cells 2015;33:1055-1062.
CitationConcise review: cell therapies for hereditary metabolic liver diseases-concepts, clinical results, and future developments. 2015, 33 (4):1055-62 Stem Cells
AffiliationTWINCORE, Centre for Experimental and Clinical Infection Research, Feodor-Lynen Str. 7, 30625, Hannover, Germany.
JournalStem cells (Dayton, Ohio)
Collectionspublications of the AG cell and gene therapy
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Stem and progenitor cells for liver repopulation: can we standardise the process from bench to bedside?
- Authors: Sancho-Bru P, Najimi M, Caruso M, Pauwelyn K, Cantz T, Forbes S, Roskams T, Ott M, Gehling U, Sokal E, Verfaillie CM, Muraca M
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Pluripotent plasticity of stem cells and liver repopulation.
- Authors: Gennero L, Roos MA, Sperber K, Denysenko T, Bernabei P, Calisti GF, Papotti M, Cappia S, Pagni R, Aimo G, Mengozzi G, Cavallo G, Reguzzi S, Pescarmona GP, Ponzetto A
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Cell-based therapies for metabolic liver disease.
- Authors: Enns GM, Millan MT
- Issue date: 2008 Sep-Oct
- Stem and progenitor cells in liver regeneration and repair.
- Authors: Russo FP, Parola M
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- Cellular therapy for liver disease.
- Authors: Huebert RC, Rakela J
- Issue date: 2014 Mar