Production and Properties of Xylan-Degrading Enzymes from Cellulomonas uda.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AffiliationGesellschaft fur Biotechnologische Forschung mbH, D-38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractXylan degradation and production of beta-xylanase and beta-xylosidase activities were studied in cultures of Cellulomonas uda grown on purified xylan from birchwood. beta-Xylanase activity was found to be associated with the cells, although in various degrees. The formation of beta-xylanase activity was induced by xylotriose and repressed by xylose. beta-Xylosidase activity was cell bound. Both constitutive and inducible beta-xylosidase activities were suggested. beta-Xylanase and beta-xylosidase activities were inhibited competitively by xylose. beta-Xylanase activity had a pronounced optimum pH of 5.8, whereas the optimum pH of beta-xylosidase activity ranged from 5.4 to 6.1. The major products of xylan degradation by a crude preparation of beta-xylanase activity, in decreasing order of amount, were xylobiose, xylotriose, xylose, and small amounts of xylotetraose. This pattern suggests that beta-xylanase activity secreted by C. uda is of the endosplitting type. Supernatants of cultures grown on cellulose showed not only beta-glucanase but also beta-xylanase activity. The latter could be attributed to an endo-1,4-beta-glucanase activity which had a low beta-xylanase activity.
CitationProduction and Properties of Xylan-Degrading Enzymes from Cellulomonas uda. 1986, 51 (4):746-52 Appl. Environ. Microbiol.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Modification of the carbohydrate composition of sulfite pulp by purified and characterized beta-xylanase and beta-xylosidase of Aureobasidium pullulans.
- Authors: Christov LP, Myburgh J, O'Neill FH, Van Tonder A, Prior BA
- Issue date: 1999 Mar-Apr
- Production and Properties of Extracellular Endoxylanase from Neurospora crassa.
- Authors: Mishra C, Keskar S, Rao M
- Issue date: 1984 Jul
- Purification and characterization of thermostable xylanase and beta-xylosidase by the thermophilic bacterium Bacillus thermantarcticus.
- Authors: Lama L, Calandrelli V, Gambacorta A, Nicolaus B
- Issue date: 2004 May
- Co-operative actions and degradation analysis of purified xylan-degrading enzymes from Thermomonospora fusca BD25 on oat-spelt xylan.
- Authors: Tuncer M, Ball AS
- Issue date: 2003
- Purification and properties of two endo-1,4-beta-xylanases from Irpex lacteus (Polyporus tulipiferae).
- Authors: Kanda T, Amano Y, Nisizawa K
- Issue date: 1985 Dec