Direct cloning and heterologous expression of the salinomycin biosynthetic gene cluster from Streptomyces albus DSM41398 in Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2).
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Stewart, A Francis
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLinear plus linear homologous recombination-mediated recombineering (LLHR) is ideal for obtaining natural product biosynthetic gene clusters from pre-digested bacterial genomic DNA in one or two steps of recombineering. The natural product salinomycin has a potent and selective activity against cancer stem cells and is therefore a potential anti-cancer drug. Herein, we separately isolated three fragments of the salinomycin gene cluster (salO-orf18) from Streptomyces albus (S. albus) DSM41398 using LLHR and assembled them into intact gene cluster (106 kb) by Red/ET and expressed it in the heterologous host Streptomyces coelicolor (S. coelicolor) A3(2). We are the first to report a large genomic region from a Gram-positive strain has been cloned using LLHR. The successful reconstitution and heterologous expression of the salinomycin gene cluster offer an attractive system for studying the function of the individual genes and identifying novel and potential analogues of complex natural products in the recipient strain.
CitationDirect cloning and heterologous expression of the salinomycin biosynthetic gene cluster from Streptomyces albus DSM41398 in Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2). 2015, 5:15081 Sci Rep
AffiliationHelmholtz Institute for Pharmaceutical Research Saarland (HIPS);Saarland University, Building A4.1, 66123 Saarbruecken, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Recombinational cloning of the antibiotic biosynthetic gene clusters in linear plasmid SCP1 of Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2).
- Authors: Zhang R, Xia H, Xu Q, Dang F, Qin Z
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Heterologous expression of pikromycin biosynthetic gene cluster using Streptomyces artificial chromosome system.
- Authors: Pyeon HR, Nah HJ, Kang SH, Choi SS, Kim ES
- Issue date: 2017 May 31
- Precise cloning and tandem integration of large polyketide biosynthetic gene cluster using Streptomyces artificial chromosome system.
- Authors: Nah HJ, Woo MW, Choi SS, Kim ES
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 16
- Conversion of the high-yield salinomycin producer Streptomyces albus BK3-25 into a surrogate host for polyketide production.
- Authors: Zhang X, Lu C, Bai L
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Evaluation of Streptomyces coelicolor A3(2) as a heterologous expression host for the cyanobacterial protein kinase C activator lyngbyatoxin A.
- Authors: Jones AC, Ottilie S, Eustáquio AS, Edwards DJ, Gerwick L, Moore BS, Gerwick WH
- Issue date: 2012 Apr