Nocardiopsis mwathae sp. nov., isolated from the haloalkaline Lake Elmenteita in the African Rift Valley.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsAkhwale, Juliah Khayeli
Boga, Hamadi Iddi
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDuring a screening for novel and biotechnologically useful bacteria in haloalkaline lakes, strain No.156(T) was isolated from a sediment sample from lake Elmenteita in the African Rift Valley and studied by a polyphasic taxonomic approach. The strain was observed to form yellow aerial and substrate mycelia; optimal growth was found to be at 30-35 °C in salt concentrations of 6-9 % (w/v) and at pH 7-9. The DNA G+C content of the novel strain was 71 mol%. Analysis of 16S rRNA sequences indicated that the isolate belongs to the genus Nocardiopsis with sequence similarities below 98 % to the type strains of all other representatives of the genus. Mycolic acids were not detected in whole cell methanolysates. The peptidoglycan was found to contain meso-diaminopimelic acid as the diamino acid with no diagnostic sugars. The main polar lipids were identified as phosphatidylmethylethanolamine, phosphatidylcholine, phosphatidylglycerol and phosphatidylinositol but no diphosphatidylglycerol. The predominant menaquinones were MK-11(H8), MK-11(H6), MK-10(H8) and MK-10(H6). Cellular fatty acids were found to consist of saturated and monounsaturated iso- and anteiso-branched acids with 16-18 C-length, tuberculostearic acid (Me18:0), and straight-chain saturated (16:0, 18:0) acids. These characteristics match those of the genus Nocardiopsis. Based on 16S rRNA gene sequence analysis and phenotypic characteristics, a novel species with the name Nocardiopsis mwathae is proposed. The type strain is No.156(T) (=DSM 46659(T) = CECT 8552(T)). The INSDC accession number for the 16S rRNA gene sequence of strain No.156(T) is KF976731.
CitationNocardiopsis mwathae sp. nov., isolated from the haloalkaline Lake Elmenteita in the African Rift Valley. 2016: Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek
AffiliationGerman Collection of Microorganisms and Cell Cultures, Inhoffenstraße 7B, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
JournalAntonie van Leeuwenhoek
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Streptomyces alkaliphilus sp. nov., isolated from sediments of Lake Elmenteita in the Kenyan Rift Valley.
- Authors: Akhwale JK, Göker M, Rohde M, Spröer C, Schumann P, Klenk HP, Boga HI
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Nocardiopsis algeriensis sp. nov., an alkalitolerant actinomycete isolated from Saharan soil.
- Authors: Bouras N, Meklat A, Zitouni A, Mathieu F, Schumann P, Spröer C, Sabaou N, Klenk HP
- Issue date: 2015 Feb
- Description of Streptomonospora sediminis sp. nov. and Streptomonospora nanhaiensis sp. nov., and reclassification of Nocardiopsis arabia Hozzein & Goodfellow 2008 as Streptomonospora arabica comb. nov. and emended description of the genus Streptomonospora.
- Authors: Zhang DF, Pan HQ, He J, Zhang XM, Zhang YG, Klenk HP, Hu JC, Li WJ
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Nocardiopsis quinghaiensis sp. nov., isolated from saline soil in China.
- Authors: Chen YG, Cui XL, Kroppenstedt RM, Stackebrandt E, Wen ML, Xu LH, Jiang CL
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Nocardiopsis terrae sp. nov., a halophilic actinomycete isolated from saline soil.
- Authors: Chen YG, Zhang YQ, Tang SK, Liu ZX, Xu LH, Zhang LX, Li WJ
- Issue date: 2010 Jun