Iron-chelating agent desferrioxamine stimulates formation of neutrophil extracellular traps (NETs) in human blood-derived neutrophils.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Schäfer, Simon T
Naim, Hassan Y
von Köckritz-Blickwede, Maren
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNeutrophil extracellular trap (NET) formation is a significant innate immune defense mechanism against microbial infection that complements other neutrophil functions including phagocytosis and degranulation of antimicrobial peptides. NETs are decondensed chromatin structures in which antimicrobial components (histones, antimicrobial peptides and proteases) are deployed and mediate immobilization of microbes. Here we describe an effect of iron chelation on the phenotype of NET formation. Iron-chelating agent desferrioxamine (DFO) showed a modest but significant induction of NETs by freshly isolated human neutrophils as visualized and quantified by immunocytochemistry against histone-DNA complexes. Further analyses revealed that NET induction by iron chelation required NADPH-dependent production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) as well as protease and peptidyl-arginine-deiminase 4 (PAD4) activities, three key mechanistic pathways previously linked to NET formation. Our results demonstrate that iron chelation by DFO contributes to the formation of NETs and suggest a target for pharmacological manipulation of NET activity.
CitationIron-chelating agent desferrioxamine stimulates formation of neutrophil extracellular traps (NETs) in human blood-derived neutrophils. 2016, 36 (3): Biosci. Rep.
AffiliationHelmholtz Centre for infection research, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Neutrophil extracellular traps - the dark side of neutrophils.
- Authors: Sørensen OE, Borregaard N
- Issue date: 2016 May 2
- Iron-chelating agent, deferasirox, inhibits neutrophil activation and extracellular trap formation.
- Authors: Kono M, Saigo K, Yamamoto S, Shirai K, Iwamoto S, Uematsu T, Takahashi T, Imoto S, Hashimoto M, Minami Y, Wada A, Takenokuchi M, Kawano S
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Neutrophil extracellular traps as a new paradigm in innate immunity: friend or foe?
- Authors: Cooper PR, Palmer LJ, Chapple IL
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Mycoplasma bovis escapes bovine neutrophil extracellular traps.
- Authors: Gondaira S, Higuchi H, Nishi K, Iwano H, Nagahata H
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Effects of the antioxidants Trolox, Tiron and Tempol on neutrophil extracellular trap formation.
- Authors: Vorobjeva NV, Pinegin BV
- Issue date: 2016 Feb