Complete genome sequence and description of Salinispira pacifica gen. nov., sp. nov., a novel spirochaete isolated form a hypersaline microbial mat.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsBen Hania, Wajdi
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDuring a study of the anaerobic microbial community of a lithifying hypersaline microbial mat of Lake 21 on the Kiritimati atoll (Kiribati Republic, Central Pacific) strain L21-RPul-D2(T) was isolated. The closest phylogenetic neighbor was Spirochaeta africana Z-7692(T) that shared a 16S rRNA gene sequence identity value of 90% with the novel strain and thus was only distantly related. A comprehensive polyphasic study including determination of the complete genome sequence was initiated to characterize the novel isolate. Cells of strain L21-RPul-D2(T) had a size of 0.2 - 0.25 × 8-9 μm, were helical, motile, stained Gram-negative and produced an orange carotenoid-like pigment. Optimal conditions for growth were 35°C, a salinity of 50 g/l NaCl and a pH around 7.0. Preferred substrates for growth were carbohydrates and a few carboxylic acids. The novel strain had an obligate fermentative metabolism and produced ethanol, acetate, lactate, hydrogen and carbon dioxide during growth on glucose. Strain L21-RPul-D2(T) was aerotolerant, but oxygen did not stimulate growth. Major cellular fatty acids were C14:0, iso-C15:0, C16:0 and C18:0. The major polar lipids were an unidentified aminolipid, phosphatidylglycerol, an unidentified phospholipid and two unidentified glycolipids. Whole-cell hydrolysates contained L-ornithine as diagnostic diamino acid of the cell wall peptidoglycan. The complete genome sequence was determined and annotated. The genome comprised one circular chromosome with a size of 3.78 Mbp that contained 3450 protein-coding genes and 50 RNA genes, including 2 operons of ribosomal RNA genes. The DNA G + C content was determined from the genome sequence as 51.9 mol%. There were no predicted genes encoding cytochromes or enzymes responsible for the biosynthesis of respiratory lipoquinones. Based on significant differences to the uncultured type species of the genus Spirochaeta, S. plicatilis, as well as to any other phylogenetically related cultured species it is suggested to place strain L21-RPul-D2(T) (=DSM 27196(T) = JCM 18663(T)) in a novel species and genus, for which the name Salinispira pacifica gen. nov., sp. nov. is proposed.
CitationComplete genome sequence and description of Salinispira pacifica gen. nov., sp. nov., a novel spirochaete isolated form a hypersaline microbial mat. 2015, 10:7 Stand Genomic Sci
AffiliationHelmholtz Centre for infection research, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
JournalStandards in genomic sciences
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
- Spirochaeta psychrophila sp. nov., a psychrophilic spirochaete isolated from subseafloor sediment, and emended description of the genus Spirochaeta.
- Authors: Miyazaki M, Sakai S, Yamanaka Y, Saito Y, Takai K, Imachi H
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Alteribacillus bidgolensis gen. nov., sp. nov., a moderately halophilic bacterium from a hypersaline lake, and reclassification of Bacillus persepolensis as Alteribacillus persepolensis comb. nov.
- Authors: Didari M, Amoozegar MA, Bagheri M, Schumann P, Spröer C, Sánchez-Porro C, Ventosa A
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- Spirochaeta dissipatitropha sp. nov., an alkaliphilic, obligately anaerobic bacterium, and emended description of the genus Spirochaeta Ehrenberg 1835.
- Authors: Pikuta EV, Hoover RB, Bej AK, Marsic D, Whitman WB, Krader P
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- Description of Paenisporosarcina quisquiliarum gen. nov., sp. nov., and reclassification of Sporosarcina macmurdoensis Reddy et al. 2003 as Paenisporosarcina macmurdoensis comb. nov.
- Authors: Krishnamurthi S, Bhattacharya A, Mayilraj S, Saha P, Schumann P, Chakrabarti T
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Description of Labrenzia alexandrii gen. nov., sp. nov., a novel alphaproteobacterium containing bacteriochlorophyll a, and a proposal for reclassification of Stappia aggregata as Labrenzia aggregata comb. nov., of Stappia marina as Labrenzia marina comb. nov. and of Stappia alba as Labrenzia alba comb. nov., and emended descriptions of the genera Pannonibacter, Stappia and Roseibium, and of the species Roseibium denhamense and Roseibium hamelinense.
- Authors: Biebl H, Pukall R, Lünsdorf H, Schulz S, Allgaier M, Tindall BJ, Wagner-Döbler I
- Issue date: 2007 May