Determinants of ligand binding and catalytic activity in the myelin enzyme 2',3'-cyclic nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract2',3'-cyclic nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase (CNPase) is an enzyme highly abundant in the central nervous system myelin of terrestrial vertebrates. The catalytic domain of CNPase belongs to the 2H phosphoesterase superfamily and catalyzes the hydrolysis of nucleoside 2',3'-cyclic monophosphates to nucleoside 2'-monophosphates. The detailed reaction mechanism and the essential catalytic amino acids involved have been described earlier, but the roles of many amino acids in the vicinity of the active site have remained unknown. Here, several CNPase catalytic domain mutants were studied using enzyme kinetics assays, thermal stability experiments, and X-ray crystallography. Additionally, the crystal structure of a perdeuterated CNPase catalytic domain was refined at atomic resolution to obtain a detailed view of the active site and the catalytic mechanism. The results specify determinants of ligand binding and novel essential residues required for CNPase catalysis. For example, the aromatic side chains of Phe235 and Tyr168 are crucial for substrate binding, and Arg307 may affect active site electrostatics and regulate loop dynamics. The β5-α7 loop, unique for CNPase in the 2H phosphoesterase family, appears to have various functions in the CNPase reaction mechanism, from coordinating the nucleophilic water molecule to providing a binding pocket for the product and being involved in product release.
CitationDeterminants of ligand binding and catalytic activity in the myelin enzyme 2',3'-cyclic nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase. 2015, 5:16520 Sci Rep
AffiliationCSSB, Centre for Structural Systems Biology, Notekestr. 85, 22607 Hamburg, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
- Crystallographic analysis of the reaction cycle of 2',3'-cyclic nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase, a unique member of the 2H phosphoesterase family.
- Authors: Myllykoski M, Raasakka A, Lehtimäki M, Han H, Kursula I, Kursula P
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 15
- Myelin 2',3'-cyclic nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase: active-site ligand binding and molecular conformation.
- Authors: Myllykoski M, Raasakka A, Han H, Kursula P
- Issue date: 2012
- The N-terminal domain of the myelin enzyme 2',3'-cyclic nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase: direct molecular interaction with the calcium sensor calmodulin.
- Authors: Myllykoski M, Itoh K, Kangas SM, Heape AM, Kang SU, Lubec G, Kursula I, Kursula P
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- Structural and functional evolution of 2',3'-cyclic nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase.
- Authors: Myllykoski M, Seidel L, Muruganandam G, Raasakka A, Torda AE, Kursula P
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 15
- The myelin membrane-associated enzyme 2',3'-cyclic nucleotide 3'-phosphodiesterase: on a highway to structure and function.
- Authors: Raasakka A, Kursula P
- Issue date: 2014 Dec