Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Manns, Michael P
Sharma, Amar Deep
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe lack of broad-spectrum anti-acute liver failure (ALF) therapeutic agents contributes to ALF-related mortality. MicroRNAs (miRNAs) are suggested to be potent serum biomarkers for ALF, but their functional and therapeutic relevance in ALF are unclear. Here we show an unbiased approach, using two complementary miRNA screens, to identify miRNAs that can attenuate ALF. We identify miR-125b-5p as a regulator of cell death that attenuates paracetamol-induced and FAS-induced toxicity in mouse and human hepatocytes. Importantly, administration of miR-125b-5p mimic in mouse liver prevents injury and improves survival in models of ALF. Functional studies show that miR-125b-5p ameliorates ALF by directly regulating kelch-like ECH-associated protein 1, in turn elevating expression of nuclear factor-E2-related factor 2, a known regulator in ALF. Collectively, our findings establish miR-125b-5p as an important regulator of paracetamol-induced and FAS-induced cell death. Thus, miR-125b-5p mimic may serve as a broad-spectrum therapeutic attenuator of cell death during ALF.
CitationMicroRNA-125b-5p mimic inhibits acute liver failure. 2016, 7:11916 Nat Commun
AffiliationTwincore Centre of Experimental and Clinical Infection Research; a joint venture between the Hannover Medical School and the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research, Hannover 30625, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
- miR-1224 inhibits cell proliferation in acute liver failure by targeting the antiapoptotic gene Nfib.
- Authors: Roy S, Bantel H, Wandrer F, Schneider AT, Gautheron J, Vucur M, Tacke F, Trautwein C, Luedde T, Roderburg C
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Human hepatocarcinoma-intestine-pancreas/pancreatitis-associated protein cures fas-induced acute liver failure in mice by attenuating free-radical damage in injured livers.
- Authors: Moniaux N, Song H, Darnaud M, Garbin K, Gigou M, Mitchell C, Samuel D, Jamot L, Amouyal P, Amouyal G, Bréchot C, Faivre J
- Issue date: 2011 Feb
- MicroRNA-140-5p attenuated oxidative stress in Cisplatin induced acute kidney injury by activating Nrf2/ARE pathway through a Keap1-independent mechanism.
- Authors: Liao W, Fu Z, Zou Y, Wen D, Ma H, Zhou F, Chen Y, Zhang M, Zhang W
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 15
- MicroRNA-125b-5p mediates post-transcriptional regulation of hepatitis B virus replication via the LIN28B/let-7 axis.
- Authors: Deng W, Zhang X, Ma Z, Lin Y, Lu M
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 3
- miR-15b and miR-16 regulate TNF mediated hepatocyte apoptosis via BCL2 in acute liver failure.
- Authors: An F, Gong B, Wang H, Yu D, Zhao G, Lin L, Tang W, Yu H, Bao S, Xie Q
- Issue date: 2012 Jul