From binary to multivalued to continuous models: the lac operon as a case study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUsing the lac operon as a paradigmatic example for a gene regulatory system in prokaryotes, we demonstrate how qualitative knowledge can be initially captured using simple discrete (Boolean) models and then stepwise refined to multivalued logical models and finally to continuous (ODE) models. At all stages, signal transduction and transcriptional regulation is integrated in the model description. We first show the potential benefit of a discrete binary approach and discuss then problems and limitations due to indeterminacy arising in cyclic networks. These limitations can be partially circumvented by using multilevel logic as generalization of the Boolean framework enabling one to formulate a more realistic model of the lac operon. Ultimately a dynamic description is needed to fully appreciate the potential dynamic behavior that can be induced by regulatory feedback loops. As a very promising method we show how the use of multivariate polynomial interpolation allows transformation of the logical network into a system of ordinary differential equations (ODEs), which then enables the analysis of key features of the dynamic behavior.
CitationFrom binary to multivalued to continuous models: the lac operon as a case study. 2010, 7 (1) J Integr Bioinform
AffiliationHelmholtz Centre for infection research, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
- Analysis of lactose metabolism in E. Coli using reachability analysis of hybrid systems.
- Authors: Halász A, Kumar V, Imieliński M, Belta C, Sokolsky O, Pathak S, Rubin H
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Reduction of Boolean network models.
- Authors: Veliz-Cuba A
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 21
- Modelling gene expression control using P systems: The Lac Operon, a case study.
- Authors: Romero-Campero FJ, Pérez-Jiménez MJ
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Polynomial algebra of discrete models in systems biology.
- Authors: Veliz-Cuba A, Jarrah AS, Laubenbacher R
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 1
- Transforming Boolean models to continuous models: methodology and application to T-cell receptor signaling.
- Authors: Wittmann DM, Krumsiek J, Saez-Rodriguez J, Lauffenburger DA, Klamt S, Theis FJ
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 28