Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Stradal, Theresia E B
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMigration frequently involves Rac-mediated protrusion of lamellipodia, formed by Arp2/3 complex-dependent branching thought to be crucial for force generation and stability of these networks. The formins FMNL2 and FMNL3 are Cdc42 effectors targeting to the lamellipodium tip and shown here to nucleate and elongate actin filaments with complementary activities in vitro. In migrating B16-F1 melanoma cells, both formins contribute to the velocity of lamellipodium protrusion. Loss of FMNL2/3 function in melanoma cells and fibroblasts reduces lamellipodial width, actin filament density and -bundling, without changing patterns of Arp2/3 complex incorporation. Strikingly, in melanoma cells, FMNL2/3 gene inactivation almost completely abolishes protrusion forces exerted by lamellipodia and modifies their ultrastructural organization. Consistently, CRISPR/Cas-mediated depletion of FMNL2/3 in fibroblasts reduces both migration and capability of cells to move against viscous media. Together, we conclude that force generation in lamellipodia strongly depends on FMNL formin activity, operating in addition to Arp2/3 complex-dependent filament branching.
CitationFMNL formins boost lamellipodial force generation. 2017, 8:14832 Nat Commun
AffiliationHelmholtz Centre for infection research, Inhoffenstr.7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
- FMNL2 drives actin-based protrusion and migration downstream of Cdc42.
- Authors: Block J, Breitsprecher D, Kühn S, Winterhoff M, Kage F, Geffers R, Duwe P, Rohn JL, Baum B, Brakebusch C, Geyer M, Stradal TE, Faix J, Rottner K
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 5
- Efficiency of lamellipodia protrusion is determined by the extent of cytosolic actin assembly.
- Authors: Dimchev G, Steffen A, Kage F, Dimchev V, Pernier J, Carlier MF, Rottner K
- Issue date: 2017 May 15
- FMNL2 and -3 regulate Golgi architecture and anterograde transport downstream of Cdc42.
- Authors: Kage F, Steffen A, Ellinger A, Ranftler C, Gehre C, Brakebusch C, Pavelka M, Stradal T, Rottner K
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 29
- Novel roles of formin mDia2 in lamellipodia and filopodia formation in motile cells.
- Authors: Yang C, Czech L, Gerboth S, Kojima S, Scita G, Svitkina T
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- FMNL2/FMNL3 formins are linked with oncogenic pathways and predict melanoma outcome.
- Authors: Gardberg M, Heuser VD, Koskivuo I, Koivisto M, Carpén O
- Issue date: 2016 Jan