Crystal Structure of the HMG-CoA Synthase MvaS from the Gram-Negative Bacterium Myxococcus xanthus.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA critical step in bacterial isoprenoid production is the synthesis of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A (HMG-CoA) catalyzed by HMG-CoA synthase (HMGCS). In myxobacteria, this enzyme is also involved in a recently discovered alternative and acetyl-CoA-dependent isovaleryl CoA biosynthesis pathway. Here we present crystal structures of MvaS, the HMGCS from Myxococcus xanthus, in complex with CoA and acetylated active site Cys115, with the second substrate acetoacetyl CoA and with the product of the condensation reaction, 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl CoA. With these structures, we show that MvaS uses the common HMGCS enzymatic mechanism and provide evidence that dimerization plays a role in the formation and stability of the active site. Overall, MvaS shows features typical of the eukaryotic HMGCS and exhibits differences from homologues from Gram-positive bacteria. This study provides insights into myxobacterial alternative isovaleryl CoA biosynthesis and thereby extends the toolbox for the biotechnological production of renewable fuel and chemicals.
CitationCrystal Structure of the HMG-CoA Synthase MvaS from the Gram-Negative Bacterium Myxococcus xanthus. 2016, 17 (13):1257-62 Chembiochem
AffiliationHelmholtz Centre for infection research, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
- 3-Hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A (CoA) synthase is involved in biosynthesis of isovaleryl-CoA in the myxobacterium Myxococcus xanthus during fruiting body formation.
- Authors: Bode HB, Ring MW, Schwär G, Kroppenstedt RM, Kaiser D, Müller R
- Issue date: 2006 Sep
- X-ray crystal structures of HMG-CoA synthase from Enterococcus faecalis and a complex with its second substrate/inhibitor acetoacetyl-CoA.
- Authors: Steussy CN, Vartia AA, Burgner JW 2nd, Sutherlin A, Rodwell VW, Stauffacher CV
- Issue date: 2005 Nov 1
- Staphylococcus aureus 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA synthase: crystal structure and mechanism.
- Authors: Campobasso N, Patel M, Wilding IE, Kallender H, Rosenberg M, Gwynn MN
- Issue date: 2004 Oct 22
- Identification of additional players in the alternative biosynthesis pathway to isovaleryl-CoA in the myxobacterium Myxococcus xanthus.
- Authors: Bode HB, Ring MW, Schwär G, Altmeyer MO, Kegler C, Jose IR, Singer M, Müller R
- Issue date: 2009 Jan 5
- Crystal structure of AibC, a reductase involved in alternative de novo isovaleryl coenzyme A biosynthesis in Myxococcus xanthus.
- Authors: Bock T, Müller R, Blankenfeldt W
- Issue date: 2016 Aug