Controlled re-activation of epigenetically silenced Tet promoter-driven transgene expression by targeted demethylation.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFaithful expression of transgenes in cell cultures and mice is often challenged by locus dependent epigenetic silencing. We investigated silencing of Tet-controlled expression cassettes within the mouse ROSA26 locus. We observed pronounced DNA methylation of the Tet promoter concomitant with loss of expression in mES cells as well as in differentiated cells and transgenic animals. Strikingly, the ROSA26 promoter remains active and methylation free indicating that this silencing mechanism specifically affects the transgene, but does not spread to the host's chromosomal neighborhood. To reactivate Tet cassettes a synthetic fusion protein was constructed and expressed in silenced cells. This protein includes the enzymatic domains of ten eleven translocation methylcytosine dioxygenase 1 (TET-1) as well as the Tet repressor DNA binding domain. Expression of the synthetic fusion protein and Doxycycline treatment allowed targeted demethylation of the Tet promoter in the ROSA26 locus and in another genomic site, rescuing transgene expression in cells and transgenic mice. Thus, inducible, reversible and site-specific epigenetic modulation is a promising strategy for reactivation of silenced transgene expression, independent of the integration site.
CitationControlled re-activation of epigenetically silenced Tet promoter-driven transgene expression by targeted demethylation. 2017, 45 (16):e147 Nucleic Acids Res.
AffiliationHelmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr.7, D38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
JournalNucleic acids research
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
- Expression of transgenes targeted to the Gt(ROSA)26Sor locus is orientation dependent.
- Authors: Strathdee D, Ibbotson H, Grant SG
- Issue date: 2006 Dec 20
- Induced DNA demethylation by targeting Ten-Eleven Translocation 2 to the human ICAM-1 promoter.
- Authors: Chen H, Kazemier HG, de Groote ML, Ruiters MH, Xu GL, Rots MG
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Airway-specific inducible transgene expression using aerosolized doxycycline.
- Authors: Tata PR, Pardo-Saganta A, Prabhu M, Vinarsky V, Law BM, Fontaine BA, Tager AM, Rajagopal J
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- TET-mediated DNA demethylation controls gastrulation by regulating Lefty-Nodal signalling.
- Authors: Dai HQ, Wang BA, Yang L, Chen JJ, Zhu GC, Sun ML, Ge H, Wang R, Chapman DL, Tang F, Sun X, Xu GL
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 27
- A modified RMCE-compatible Rosa26 locus for the expression of transgenes from exogenous promoters.
- Authors: Tchorz JS, Suply T, Ksiazek I, Giachino C, Cloëtta D, Danzer CP, Doll T, Isken A, Lemaistre M, Taylor V, Bettler B, Kinzel B, Mueller M
- Issue date: 2012