Tissue maintenance of CMV-specific inflationary memory T cells by IL-15.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsBaumann, Nicolas S
Welten, Suzanne P M
Oduro, Jennifer D
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCytomegalovirus (CMV) infection induces an atypical CD8 T cell response, termed inflationary, that is characterised by accumulation and maintenance of high numbers of effector memory like cells in circulation and peripheral tissues-a feature being successfully harnessed for vaccine purposes. Although stability of this population depends on recurrent antigen encounter, the requirements for prolonged survival in peripheral tissues remain unknown. Here, we reveal that murine CMV-specific inflationary CD8 T cells are maintained in an antigen-independent manner and have a half-life of 12 weeks in the lung tissue. This half-life is drastically longer than the one of phenotypically comparable inflationary effector cells. IL-15 alone, and none of other common γ-cytokines, was crucial for survival of inflationary cells in peripheral organs. IL-15, mainly produced by non-hematopoietic cells in lung tissue and being trans-presented, promoted inflationary T cell survival by increasing expression of Bcl-2. These results indicate that inflationary CD8 T cells are not just simply effector-like cells, rather they share properties of both effector and memory CD8 T cells and they appear to be long-lived cells compared to the effector cells from acute virus infections.
CitationTissue maintenance of CMV-specific inflationary memory T cells by IL-15. 2018, 14 (4):e1006993 PLoS Pathog.
AffiliationHelmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
- Four distinct patterns of memory CD8 T cell responses to chronic murine cytomegalovirus infection.
- Authors: Munks MW, Cho KS, Pinto AK, Sierro S, Klenerman P, Hill AB
- Issue date: 2006 Jul 1
- Differential B7-CD28 costimulatory requirements for stable and inflationary mouse cytomegalovirus-specific memory CD8 T cell populations.
- Authors: Arens R, Loewendorf A, Redeker A, Sierro S, Boon L, Klenerman P, Benedict CA, Schoenberger SP
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 1
- Increasing inflationary T-cell responses following transient depletion of MCMV-specific memory T cells.
- Authors: Sims S, Bolinger B, Klenerman P
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Viral inoculum dose impacts memory T-cell inflation.
- Authors: Redeker A, Welten SP, Arens R
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Adenoviral vaccine induction of CD8+ T cell memory inflation: Impact of co-infection and infection order.
- Authors: Lee LN, Bolinger B, Banki Z, de Lara C, Highton AJ, Colston JM, Hutchings C, Klenerman P
- Issue date: 2017 Dec