Occupation-Associated Fatal Limbic Encephalitis Caused by Variegated Squirrel Bornavirus 1, Germany, 2013.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLimbic encephalitis is commonly regarded as an autoimmune-mediated disease. However, after the recent detection of zoonotic variegated squirrel bornavirus 1 in a Prevost's squirrel (Callosciurus prevostii) in a zoo in northern Germany, we retrospectively investigated a fatal case in an autoantibody-seronegative animal caretaker who had worked at that zoo. The virus had been discovered in 2015 as the cause of a cluster of cases of fatal encephalitis among breeders of variegated squirrels (Sciurus variegatoides) in eastern Germany. Molecular assays and immunohistochemistry detected a limbic distribution of the virus in brain tissue of the animal caretaker. Phylogenetic analyses demonstrated a spillover infection from the Prevost's squirrel. Antibodies against bornaviruses were detected in the patient's cerebrospinal fluid by immunofluorescence and newly developed ELISAs and immunoblot. The putative antigenic epitope was identified on the viral nucleoprotein. Other zoo workers were not infected; however, avoidance of direct contact with exotic squirrels and screening of squirrels are recommended.
AffiliationHelmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 United States
- Multiple detection of zoonotic variegated squirrel bornavirus 1 RNA in different squirrel species suggests a possible unknown origin for the virus.
- Authors: Schlottau K, Hoffmann B, Homeier-Bachmann T, Fast C, Ulrich RG, Beer M, Hoffmann D
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- A Variegated Squirrel Bornavirus Associated with Fatal Human Encephalitis.
- Authors: Hoffmann B, Tappe D, Höper D, Herden C, Boldt A, Mawrin C, Niederstraßer O, Müller T, Jenckel M, van der Grinten E, Lutter C, Abendroth B, Teifke JP, Cadar D, Schmidt-Chanasit J, Ulrich RG, Beer M
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 9
- Variegated Squirrel Bornavirus 1 in Squirrels, Germany and the Netherlands.
- Authors: Schlottau K, Jenckel M, van den Brand J, Fast C, Herden C, Höper D, Homeier-Bachmann T, Thielebein J, Mensing N, Diender B, Hoffmann D, Ulrich RG, Mettenleiter TC, Koopmans M, Tappe D, Schmidt-Chanasit J, Reusken CB, Beer M, Hoffmann B
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- First description of natural Echinococcus multilocularis infections in chinchilla (Chinchilla laniger) and Prevost's squirrel (Callosciurus prevostii borneoensis).
- Authors: Staebler S, Steinmetz H, Keller S, Deplazes P
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Evidence for West Nile virus spillover into the squirrel population in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Authors: Bisanzio D, McMillan JR, Barreto JG, Blitvich BJ, Mead DG, O'Connor J, Kitron U
- Issue date: 2015 May