Adolescent health in the Eastern Mediterranean Region: findings from the global burden of disease 2015 study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe 22 countries of the East Mediterranean Region (EMR) have large populations of adolescents aged 10-24 years. These adolescents are central to assuring the health, development, and peace of this region. We described their health needs. Using data from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015 (GBD 2015), we report the leading causes of mortality and morbidity for adolescents in the EMR from 1990 to 2015. We also report the prevalence of key health risk behaviors and determinants. Communicable diseases and the health consequences of natural disasters reduced substantially between 1990 and 2015. However, these gains have largely been offset by the health impacts of war and the emergence of non-communicable diseases (including mental health disorders), unintentional injury, and self-harm. Tobacco smoking and high body mass were common health risks amongst adolescents. Additionally, many EMR countries had high rates of adolescent pregnancy and unmet need for contraception. Even with the return of peace and security, adolescents will have a persisting poor health profile that will pose a barrier to socioeconomic growth and development of the EMR.
AffiliationHelmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 United States
- Alternative projections of mortality and disability by cause 1990-2020: Global Burden of Disease Study.
- Authors: Murray CJ, Lopez AD
- Issue date: 1997 May 24
- Health in times of uncertainty in the eastern Mediterranean region, 1990-2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013.
- Authors: Mokdad AH, Forouzanfar MH, Daoud F, El Bcheraoui C, Moradi-Lakeh M, Khalil I, Afshin A, Tuffaha M, Charara R, Barber RM, Wagner J, Cercy K, Kravitz H, Coates MM, Robinson M, Estep K, Steiner C, Jaber S, Mokdad AA, O'Rourke KF, Chew A, Kim P, El Razek MM, Abdalla S, Abd-Allah F, Abraham JP, Abu-Raddad LJ, Abu-Rmeileh NM, Al-Nehmi AA, Akanda AS, Al Ahmadi H, Al Khabouri MJ, Al Lami FH, Al Rayess ZA, Alasfoor D, AlBuhairan FS, Aldhahri SF, Alghnam S, Alhabib S, Al-Hamad N, Ali R, Ali SD, Alkhateeb M, AlMazroa MA, Alomari MA, Al-Raddadi R, Alsharif U, Al-Sheyab N, Alsowaidi S, Al-Thani M, Altirkawi KA, Amare AT, Amini H, Ammar W, Anwari P, Asayesh H, Asghar R, Assabri AM, Assadi R, Bacha U, Badawi A, Bakfalouni T, Basulaiman MO, Bazargan-Hejazi S, Bedi N, Bhakta AR, Bhutta ZA, Bin Abdulhak AA, Boufous S, Bourne RR, Danawi H, Das J, Deribew A, Ding EL, Durrani AM, Elshrek Y, Ibrahim ME, Eshrati B, Esteghamati A, Faghmous IA, Farzadfar F, Feigl AB, Fereshtehnejad SM, Filip I, Fischer F, Gankpé FG, Ginawi I, Gishu MD, Gupta R, Habash RM, Hafezi-Nejad N, Hamadeh RR, Hamdouni H, Hamidi S, Harb HL, Hassanvand MS, Hedayati MT, Heydarpour P, Hsairi M, Husseini A, Jahanmehr N, Jha V, Jonas JB, Karam NE, Kasaeian A, Kassa NA, Kaul A, Khader Y, Khalifa SE, Khan EA, Khan G, Khoja T, Khosravi A, Kinfu Y, Defo BK, Balaji AL, Lunevicius R, Obermeyer CM, Malekzadeh R, Mansourian M, Marcenes W, Farid HM, Mehari A, Mehio-Sibai A, Memish ZA, Mensah GA, Mohammad KA, Nahas Z, Nasher JT, Nawaz H, Nejjari C, Nisar MI, Omer SB, Parsaeian M, Peprah EK, Pervaiz A, Pourmalek F, Qato DM, Qorbani M, Radfar A, Rafay A, Rahimi K, Rahimi-Movaghar V, Rahman SU, Rai RK, Rana SM, Rao SR, Refaat AH, Resnikoff S, Roshandel G, Saade G, Saeedi MY, Sahraian MA, Saleh S, Sanchez-Riera L, Satpathy M, Sepanlou SG, Setegn T, Shaheen A, Shahraz S, Sheikhbahaei S, Shishani K, Sliwa K, Tavakkoli M, Terkawi AS, Uthman OA, Westerman R, Younis MZ, El Sayed Zaki M, Zannad F, Roth GA, Wang H, Naghavi M, Vos T, Al Rabeeah AA, Lopez AD, Murray CJ
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- The Burden of Mental Disorders in the Eastern Mediterranean Region, 1990-2013.
- Authors: Charara R, Forouzanfar M, Naghavi M, Moradi-Lakeh M, Afshin A, Vos T, Daoud F, Wang H, El Bcheraoui C, Khalil I, Hamadeh RR, Khosravi A, Rahimi-Movaghar V, Khader Y, Al-Hamad N, Makhlouf Obermeyer C, Rafay A, Asghar R, Rana SM, Shaheen A, Abu-Rmeileh NM, Husseini A, Abu-Raddad LJ, Khoja T, Al Rayess ZA, AlBuhairan FS, Hsairi M, Alomari MA, Ali R, Roshandel G, Terkawi AS, Hamidi S, Refaat AH, Westerman R, Kiadaliri AA, Akanda AS, Ali SD, Bacha U, Badawi A, Bazargan-Hejazi S, Faghmous IA, Fereshtehnejad SM, Fischer F, Jonas JB, Kuate Defo B, Mehari A, Omer SB, Pourmalek F, Uthman OA, Mokdad AA, Maalouf FT, Abd-Allah F, Akseer N, Arya D, Borschmann R, Brazinova A, Brugha TS, Catalá-López F, Degenhardt L, Ferrari A, Haro JM, Horino M, Hornberger JC, Huang H, Kieling C, Kim D, Kim Y, Knudsen AK, Mitchell PB, Patton G, Sagar R, Satpathy M, Savuon K, Seedat S, Shiue I, Skogen JC, Stein DJ, Tabb KM, Whiteford HA, Yip P, Yonemoto N, Murray CJ, Mokdad AH
- Issue date: 2017
- Global mortality, disability, and the contribution of risk factors: Global Burden of Disease Study.
- Authors: Murray CJ, Lopez AD
- Issue date: 1997 May 17
- Global, regional, and national life expectancy, all-cause mortality, and cause-specific mortality for 249 causes of death, 1980-2015: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015.
- Authors: GBD 2015 Mortality and Causes of Death Collaborators.
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 8