Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Robert, Philippe A
Dustin, Michael L
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDuring immunological synapse (IS) formation, T cell receptor (TCR) signaling complexes, integrins, and costimulatory molecules exhibit a particular spatial localization. Here, we develop an agent-based model for the IS formation based on TCR peptide-bound major histocompatibility complex (pMHC) and leukocyte-function-associated antigen 1 (LFA-1) intracellular activation molecule 1 (ICAM-1) dynamics, including CD28 binding to a costimulatory ligand, coupling of molecules to the centripetal actin flow, and size-based segregation (SBS). A radial gradient of LFA-1 in the peripheral supramolecular activation cluster (pSMAC) toward the central supramolecular activation cluster (cSMAC) emerged as a combined consequence of actin binding and diffusion and modified the positioning of other molecules. The simulations predict a mechanism of CD28 movement, according to which CD28-CD80 complexes passively follow TCR-pMHC microclusters. However, the characteristic CD28-CD80 localization in a ring pattern around the cSMAC only emerges with a particular CD28-actin coupling strength that induces a centripetal motion. These results have implications for the understanding of T cell activation and fate decisions.
CitationCell Rep. 2018 Jul 31;24(5):1151-1162. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2018.06.114
AffiliationBRICS, Braunschweiger Zentrum für Systembiologie, Rebenring 56,38106 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- T cell-dendritic cell immunological synapses contain TCR-dependent CD28-CD80 clusters that recruit protein kinase C theta.
- Authors: Tseng SY, Waite JC, Liu M, Vardhana S, Dustin ML
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 1
- Signals and sequences that control CD28 localization to the central region of the immunological synapse.
- Authors: Sanchez-Lockhart M, Graf B, Miller J
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 1
- LFA-1-mediated T cell costimulation through increased localization of TCR/class II complexes to the central supramolecular activation cluster and exclusion of CD45 from the immunological synapse.
- Authors: Graf B, Bushnell T, Miller J
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 1
- Actin retrograde flow and actomyosin II arc contraction drive receptor cluster dynamics at the immunological synapse in Jurkat T cells.
- Authors: Yi J, Wu XS, Crites T, Hammer JA 3rd
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Mathematical Modeling of Synaptic Patterns.
- Authors: Siokis A, Robert PA, Meyer-Hermann M
- Issue date: 2017