Identification of cardiac malformations in mice lacking Ptdsr using a novel high-throughput magnetic resonance imaging technique
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsSchneider, Jürgen E
Bamforth, Simon D
Gruber, Achim D
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground Congenital heart defects are the leading non-infectious cause of death in children. Genetic studies in the mouse have been crucial to uncover new genes and signaling pathways associated with heart development and congenital heart disease. The identification of murine models of congenital cardiac malformations in high-throughput mutagenesis screens and in gene-targeted models is hindered by the opacity of the mouse embryo. Results We developed and optimized a novel method for high-throughput multi-embryo magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Using this approach we identified cardiac malformations in phosphatidylserine receptor (Ptdsr) deficient embryos. These included ventricular septal defects, double-outlet right ventricle, and hypoplasia of the pulmonary artery and thymus. These results indicate that Ptdsr plays a key role in cardiac development. Conclusions Our novel multi-embryo MRI technique enables high-throughput identification of murine models for human congenital cardiopulmonary malformations at high spatial resolution. The technique can be easily adapted for mouse mutagenesis screens and, thus provides an important new tool for identifying new mouse models for human congenital heart diseases.
CitationBMC Developmental Biology 2004 4:16
PubMed Central ID545075
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Rapid identification and 3D reconstruction of complex cardiac malformations in transgenic mouse embryos using fast gradient echo sequence magnetic resonance imaging.
- Authors: Schneider JE, Bamforth SD, Farthing CR, Clarke K, Neubauer S, Bhattacharya S
- Issue date: 2003 Feb
- High-throughput analysis of mouse embryos by magnetic resonance imaging.
- Authors: Bamforth SD, Schneider JE, Bhattacharya S
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 1
- Making the mouse embryo transparent: identifying developmental malformations using magnetic resonance imaging.
- Authors: Schneider JE, Bhattacharya S
- Issue date: 2004 Sep
- Morphological evaluation of atrioventricular septal defects by magnetic resonance imaging.
- Authors: Parsons JM, Baker EJ, Anderson RH, Ladusans EJ, Hayes A, Qureshi SA, Deverall PB, Fagg N, Cook A, Maisey MN
- Issue date: 1990 Aug
- Congenital heart defects in Fgfr2-IIIb and Fgf10 mutant mice.
- Authors: Marguerie A, Bajolle F, Zaffran S, Brown NA, Dickson C, Buckingham ME, Kelly RG
- Issue date: 2006 Jul 1